Thursday, October 29, 2009

Levels of Exitment & Project Week


I hope this makes sense. I tried to get some related points across - about the difference between first and second year, excitement, project week, and how that relates to our situation right now.

This also relates to my previous post and to project.
I've noticed that in a way the second year in muwci is less exciting than the first one. Not less fun - but less exciting - and that has a logical explanation.
When we first come EVERYTHING is new.

At the beginning almost every time you meet a new person on campus you think "Maldives! wow! so cool", or "Norway, that is so exciting!"
Also everything you see around the college and in it - is completely new. India, the boarding school, the UWC - it overwhelmingly exiting.

What I have noticed this year is that things are much calmer for me. Of course I was excited when we we were expanding and 100 new people joined the community. I'm also very excited about my two-sort-of-new CI's which are very challenging, about being a coordinator and a second year in general..
But it is so different from the first year! instead of being taken care of you are now the senior.
The amounts of work and the fact we live in this artificial ideal community affect that a lot. Somehow I feel, if we even had just one day off - we could have appreciated it more.

That's why I'm really excited about project week. I hope that could be our little break, after which we come back with renewed powers.
But I suppose quite some people do not feel the same as I do, since around 50% of our batch stays on campus. I guess that's also a break, having free time to work and spend here. But it does relate to the first part of this post - the excitement.
I think Project week is *the* opportunity to get off campus for a while! go out.. see some other places. I think it is one of the things that excite me the most here and give you a chance to explore other places and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment