Thursday, October 29, 2009

the real world

Well, in almost every way I think - muwci is not the 'real world'.
It is a tiny community of carefully selected people. 200 people who are very different indeed, yet most share some common qualities - not only wanting to come to a UWC.
Only the fact that we don't have discipline problems in this school is unrealistic... and that's just a tiny detail out of many more. It is, in a sense, a very idealistic community, in the sense that it is trying to be ideal.

I wonder what living in a very-clearly unrealistic world for two years does to us.
Because sometimes I feel it is somewhat unnatural. That when you go out, when you go to school, when you go back home and when you take part in afternoon activities - it is always the same people and always the same place you encounter.

Back home you have so many different circles of friends - from school, from the youth movement, from your far away childhood, from dance lessons or basketball, and on top of that all you meet knew people and you spend time with your family. And everything you do is in different places and atmospheres - you go out and you go to another city or to someone else's place or to the beach or to a party or to a wedding or a fest or a movie...
and here when we go somewhere it's almost always Pune - again with the same muwci people.

I think it obviously makes our relationships more intense and close. We experience so much together - some things that others could probably not understand.
But in a way it also makes the end so intense. I don't think I will ever again live with these kind of people in such a place that keeps you busy busy busy all the time with them.

And the goodbye is so weird also - how do you just leave your home for two years? your HOUSE-mates in a way, the people that functioned as your classmates, your friends, your housemates, roommates, coordinators, teachers, students (to each other, yes) - the people who most of the positions in your life for two years?

I'm not sure what is exactly philosophical about this post. I guess it's the contemplation over our life?
In some way I want to say this is not the real life. Real life probably starts when we leave here again...
I cannot say this place is not amazingly great, enriching, teaching, developing and challenging... it is all of that. It has changed me a lot.
I think I'm pointing out that it might also have negative sides to it - maybe in the way of doing it. I don't know how easy it will be to recover from this different dimension called muwci and how it will be possible to connect it back to our previous lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment